IEEE AFRICON CONFERENCE
IEEE AND REGION 8
IEEE is an association dedicated to advancing innovation and technological excellence for the benefit of humanity. It’s the world’s largest technical professional society, designed to serve both professionals and students involved in all aspects of science and technology that underlie modern civilization.
It co-sponsors more than 1800 annual conferences worldwide, curating cutting-edge content for all technical fields of interest within IEEE; which are driven through its societies.
Region 8 covers Europe, Middle East and Africa, as shown in the map below.
IEEE AFRICON is the IEEE Region 8 flagship conference on the African continent. IEEE AFRICON 2023 will provide a platform for academia and industry professionals from all over the world to share ideas, present their latest research and to network. The conference covers the full spectrum of IEEE activities including Engineering, Communications, Networks, Electronics, Energy, Mobile Computing, Cloud Computing, Software, Nanotechnology, and E-learning. The conference is held once every two years.
The 16th IEEE AFRICON is co-sponsored by IEEE Region 8 and IEEE Kenya Section and will be hosted by the IEEE Kenya Section in Nairobi, Kenya from September 20th to 22nd 2023. The theme of the conference is Advancing Technology in Africa Towards Presence on the Global Stage.
- To create platform for participants from industry, academia, government and non-governmental organisations to discuss on Technological advancements that can propel Africa to to achieve greater status in the world, through expert-lead content, business driven experiences, networking and strategic partnerships.
- To provide attendees with practical, solution-oriented topics, including case studies and lessons learned, via a diversified technical program consisting of exhibitions, tutorials, special sessions, workshops, keynote/plenary speeches, poster and oral presentations.
- The technical program is meant to create action plans and follow-up actions on outcome of the conference and reinforce partnerships.
Target participants include:
- Senior-level representatives from IEEE Headquarters and IEEE Industry Ambassadors.
- Representatives from governments, eminent researchers, practitioners and the private sector
- International participants including high level ministry officials, leaders of industries, international organizations, embassies, NGOs and UN agencies
The conference is expected to have the following main outcomes.
- An analytical summary capturing best practices and lessons learned will be prepared by conference planning team. This summary will be submitted and circulated at the local and regional level to ensure all stakeholders have visibility of the issues discussed, together with solutions.
- Provide an important opportunity for key policy makers to develop new partnerships as well as between local entities, to act on solutions to issues discussed.
- Deliberations will lead to actionable suggestions and follow-up actions for the relevant stakeholders in the African countries in the overall context of resilience, sustainability and growth.